Tuesday, 9 April 2013

Research

After changing our script and storyline, I decided to research some more into Transgender issues portrayed in drama. 

I had already seems the topic interpreted in TV drama and soap operas over the last few years, so I was interested to see if it was any different in films.

One film in particular I came across that stood out to me was a 2005 comedy-drama film, Breakfast on Pluto. The plot is based on a young Irish lad who is transgender and wanting to find his mother who left him at birth. Although it follows the opposite story of our character wanting his mother to either accept him or leave him alone, similar aspects of his friends accepting his gender choices are revealed. 
What interested me most about this storyline was the era and place in Ireland where this boy lived. As our drama is in the present day, the idea of being transgender is more acceptable than it was back then, therefore getting an insight as to how difficult it may have been for someone to want to change their gender may help us portray our character more realistically.  


Also, compared to the TV drama I had previously seen that involved a transgender character, Patrick - or "Kitten" - in Breakfast on Pluto appears to be very flamboyant and glamorous about his "sex-change". It was interesting to see the differences in film about our chosen topic and something that we may chose to discuss more in further meetings and planning.  

No comments:

Post a Comment