Wednesday, 10 April 2013

Draft Script

 1.  INT. MODEST LIVING ROOM – MIDDAY 1.

There is a thud of something being knocked over. A mug shatters on the floor. BEN - mid-twenties, dark-haired and of medium build - and MUM - stouter and with greying hair and kind features - are facing off in the kitchen; a modest but clean room. BEN is mid-sentence, starting to back away. MUM is standing hands clenched, leaning forward.

BEN
(scornful, as if echoing MUM’s previous words)

‘Just a phase’, I’m not some fourteen year old kid!

MUM
(coldly)

You’re deluded. That’s what you are.

BEN’s grip tightens on a mug clasped in his hand.

BEN
(getting angry)

Do you think I’m doing this to hurt you? This wasn’t a choice I got to make – I didn’t choose to spend twenty years feeling like I’m in the wrong fucking body.

BEN gestures to his person, angrily.

(cont.)
I didn’t choose the gender I was born, and it wasn’t a fucking choice to reject it! It’s who I am! I don’t know how that’s so…so hard for you to understand!

MUM
No… (pausing) no, it’s not. I don’t know why you can’t see that. Have you seen those types? Ben, you’re not one of them…

MUM trails off, realising what she’s said. BEN stares.

BEN
(in disgust)

Is that really how you feel? ‘Those types’?

He angles for the door. MUM starts forward.

MUM
Ben—

BEN
(icily)

No, don’t bother.

MUM

Ben—
­BEN
I don’t want to hear it.
BEN turns to leave. He is mid-stride and halfway out of the room when MUM speaks again.
MUM
(quietly)
If you walk out that door, don’t expect you’ll be welcome back here.
BEN
(stunned)
I won’t.
BEN exits. MUM stares at the empty doorway. The front door slams shut. BEN storms down the drive, stuffing a hoody into a messenger bag. MUM stoops to pick up the pieces of shattered china from the broken mug; when she straightens, BEN is gone.

2.  INT. MICK’S PLACE – EVENING 2.
The noise of the TV drones in the background. The tattered curtains are drawn shut, minimum light filtering through. Clothes and other various items are scattered on the floor and around the messy room. A bundle of blankets has been dumped untidily next to the sofa. An ashtray littered with cigarette butts sits square in the middle of the coffee table. BEN and MICK are sitting on the sofa, smoking; BEN is hunched forward, tense, MICK leans back, relaxing into the sofa. BEN takes another drag on his cigarette and ashes it into the ashtray. He stares at the TV, clearly not paying attention to the images on screen.

MICK
(casually)
(cont.)
So she told you if you walked out you couldn’t come back?
MICK breathes out smoke slowly, looking at BEN, who seems to suddenly realise MICK is speaking to him and glances up.

BEN
(nodding)

Said I shouldn’t expect to be welcome back there (pausing; bitterly) -- like I’d want to go back after that?

MICK
(frowning, and finishing his cigarette, he puts it in the 
ashtray)

You can’t think like that, kiddo. It’s family. She’ll come around.

BEN turns to look at MICK, incredulously.

BEN

How long have you known my family for? (he takes another drag on his cigarette and exhales slowly, pausing) She’ll never agree with it. Too set in her ways. (he begins to look visibly upset, looking at the floor instead of MICK) Just so afraid of change. Y’know?

MICK

(sympathetically)
You can’t seriously believe that – you don’t actually believe she’d rather lose you than try and accept this?
A pause. BEN drops his cigarette in the ashtray and sits forward, putting his head in his hands. MICK embraces him tightly. The silence lingers further, punctuated by the drone of a reality show on the TV in the background, and BEN sighs heavily. MICK squeezes his shoulder and stands up, stooping to pick up the bundle of blankets on the floor.

MICK

C’mon. You just need to get some sleep. (attempting to be lighthearted, he nudges BEN again) Bet you’re fucking knackered, eh?

BEN
(agreeably)

Mm… (he stands up and turns off the TV, reaching out to take some of the blankets from MICK) thanks for letting me crash.

MICK
(shooting BEN a shit-eating grin)

S’alright, not like you’ve got any other mates is it?

BEN snorts and punches him in the shoulder. Together they throw blankets and pillows messily on the sofa.

3.  INT. MICK’S PLACE – MORNING 3.

BEN is woken by the loud buzzing of his phone on the coffee table. His hair sticking up in all directions and his clothes in disarray, he jolts upright, throwing the blankets off himself in the process. He picks up the phone, to see the caller ID is MUM. Indecisive, his thumb hovers over the ‘answer’ button, but after a moment of hesitation he declines the call and puts the phone back on the table, grabbing the blankets and pulling them over himself again, he goes back to sleep. The phone buzzes again in the background, ignored.
Time passes; BEN wakes up again to the sound of the phone buzzing and continues to ignore it, staring at the TV instead, which has been left on. Used mugs and cigarette butts collect on the coffee table. They are soon joined by empty takeaway packets. The room becomes more decrepit as time continues to go by. On one occasion MICK walks into the room eating a packet of crisps. Hearing the phone buzzing, he goes to answer it but has his hand slapped away by BEN; shaking his head, he backs off, looking at him in confusion.

MICK
You just gonna ignore her?

BEN shrugs. MICK shakes his head again.

MICK

I don’t understand you sometimes, y’know.

BEN
(moodily)

Told me I wasn’t welcome back. Her own family. She can fucking sit and think about that for a while.

MICK sighs and leaves the room. BEN goes back to staring at the TV, resolute.
Once again, BEN is asleep the next time his phone goes off. Sitting up, he reaches out to hit the ‘reject’ button once again but MICK, appearing suddenly, snatches the phone out of his hand and hits the answer button – BEN, angry, jumps up to grab the phone back but MICK holds him off with his free arm.

MICK

Mrs O’Reilly, hey, how are- yeah he’s here … you wanna talk to 
him? Uh huh? I’ll pass you on…

Turning, he offers the phone to BEN, who refuses to accept it.

MICK

Fucking talk to her, Ben. You can fix this.

Begrudgingly, BEN nods and takes the phone.

BEN

Hey, ma.

4.  EXT. A PARK BENCH – AFTERNOON 4.
MUM is already sitting on the bench, handbag beside her, hands clasped together nervously. She stares out across the park, watching other people pass by idly. BEN enters the park, can of energy drink in hand. He takes a swig from the can and noticeably pauses mid-stride when he sees MUM already sitting on the bench. Taking another drink, he puts the energy drink in a bin and shoves his hands in the pockets, walking over to sit next to MUM, who has already noticed his presence. She attempts a smile, which goes unreturned.

MUM

How’ve you been?

BEN
(obviously angry)

How do you think I’ve been? You kicked me out, ma. Told me I wasn’t fucking welcome to come back.

MUM

I didn’t mean that – Ben, honey, I was just angry, I was upset, you’d just told me something that –

BEN

(cutting MUM off sharply) told you something that what?

There is an awkward pause.

MUM

Something that – something that I have trouble coming to terms with.

BEN

Have. Present tense.

MUM
(starting to get irritated)

You were born a boy – I just, I don’t see why you would reject that. I don’t understand why you would! And all the operations, injections, all of that, to change who you are? Why? I just…I don’t… (she trails off, shaking her head)

BEN

You know what I don’t understand – why you can’t accept the decisions I’ve made. Why you can’t be there when I need you to, even if you don’t agree with this. (he pauses) Why did you even want to talk to me, ma? You haven’t fucking changed at all.

MUM

I wanted to try—

BEN

No you didn’t. You wanted me to change my mind.

MUM
(placing a hand on his arm)

Ben—

BEN
(shrugging her away)

Don’t bother.

BEN stands up, stuffing his hands in his pockets again, and walks away without looking back. MUM stands up as though to follow him, but thinks better of it, and is left standing, watching him leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment