While online I came across this Channel
4 documentary. It follows the largest limo company in Lancashire and shows in
depth coverage of the company’s day to day structures during one summer in
Blackpool. I felt this would be an interesting piece to watch as it may show
styles we could portray and develop further with our own documentary.
Within the first few minutes of the
programme, you can see that the director has taken an observational approach to
the documentary, following the drivers of the limos using on board cameras to
film average days on the job. This is used throughout the documentary, along
with individual interviews with the management and the customers who hire the
vehicles. There is also use of a narrator at the beginning to introduce the
company and explain what the intention of the documentary is.
I liked the style of this documentary,
but there are a few things I have taken into consideration after watching it. I
noticed that the interviews with the management were taken in the back of the limousines
and were effective. However, the lighting was quite poor at times and when
filming our documentary we will need to ensure that once we set up, we are in a
well-lit area and you can see your interviewees. I also feel from watching it
we need to take consideration into the background. Involving relevant things,
such as the Duck Marines behind the interviewee would be effectual, however if
we try and cram too much into the backdrop, we will risk taking attention away
from the interviewee.
I also liked the observational approach,
capturing footage of the staff whilst they were doing their daily routines, and
I feel it would add more interest to our project if we could get plenty of
shots of the crew running the Duck Marines in Liverpool.

No comments:
Post a Comment