"A study in the articulations and limitations of first love."
I personally didn't like the film. For a simple idea of two teenagers in a relationship, I felt the film was extremely slow-paced and drawn out, not keeping the audience entertained long enough. I also wasn't fond of the lighting of the shots as the film progressed. I can understanding how the director may of wanted to lighting to slowly fade out as the day continued and the night scenes drew in, however I felt that some shots, in particular the couple in the greenhouse, may of still been shown in a creative aspect if a little more light was exposed. However, I did like the lack of narration during the film, as I felt it gave more room for the audience to have their own interpretation of events unfolding and how they personally consider the characters are feeling.
One technique I found in particular both interesting and effective was the use of camera shots throughout, especially in the opening scenes and the scene in the greenhouse. In the opening minute of the film, we experience the argument between the couple that fuels the story behind the film. As they fight, the shots used are jumpy and unsteady. I personally felt that for the situation being filmed, it was a creative method that worked really well and gave a more in-depth view to what was going on. Later on in the greenhouse when the teens "make-up", the shots jump between two different time frames that justify the same actions; I felt this was a more interesting approach to creating several scenes throughout the film that worked better than just filming two shots separately at different times.
Another aspect of the film I found appealing was the use of colour. Continuously though the film, the colours on screen appeared dim and washed out, increasing the effect of realism as it was set in a small, dull English village. I also feel that by not making everything stand out with sharp picture and high colour quality that it made both the characters and the story line more realistic as well.
Love Me or Leave Me Alone follows a linear structure, with the story being told in chronological order as the day progresses. By doing this, it produces a straight-forward narrative that is easy to understand. Overall I feel the film has both positive and negative points I feel can be thoroughly criticized, but also I believe the film has been created in a way that allows everyone who watches it to find their own interpretation of both the story line, and the way it has being portrayed.
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment